Friday, January 12, 2007

Seven and a half habits -- incorporating exercise one and two

The 7 1/2 habits module was very good. It re-iterated that attitude is everything and that you are responsible for your learning new technologies or skills. If you aren't familiar with something, how can you visualize using it? I remember back in the 1980s, the Internet was just beginning to take hold. I went to a meeting on the campus of UNLV, just to see what it was all about. At that point the web had not been introduced and people were using GOPHER and VERONICA. It was so exciting to be there, just as the university was considering "hooking up" with the Internet. One person asked why was I there? What would a library want to do on the Internet. I said that at the least, we would want our library catalog on. Because it was so new, I felt that I had to just jump in and learn what I could. Then I could begin to see what it could offer libraryland. So I guess this is a part of 7 1/2 habits -- take things on to see what's good and how it can be used.

No comments: